PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTION STATEMENT
Save the Children recognises its responsibilities in relation to the collection, holding, processing or use of personal data under the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance. Personal data will be collected only for lawful and relevant purposes and all practicable steps will be taken to ensure that personal data held by Save the Children is secured and accurate and to avoid unauthorised or accidental access, erasure or other use.
From time to time it is necessary for us to collect and use your personal data for the following purposes:
- To process and administer your donations, such as issue of donation receipts to you and maintenance of donation records and donation account;
- To establish a relationship and to maintain communication with you;
- To send you information and other materials of Save the Children;
- To conduct donor surveys, research and analyse statistics;
- To meet the requirements imposed by applicable laws, regulations, judicial or administrative orders as well as requests from regulators, law enforcement agencies and tax authorities;
- To compile aggregate statistics on how you and other visitors browse the Save the Children website for the purpose of managing and improving the website and its design; and
- Other purposes directly relating to any of the above.
For our policy on using your personal data for promoting our fundraising activities, please see the section entitled “Use of personal data for promoting our fundraising activities” below.
Supply of data (obligatory or voluntary)
When making donation pledges, please note that it is mandatory for you to provide personal data marked with asterisks on the donor form. If you do not provide such personal data, we may not be able to process or administer your donations.
Transfer of personal data
Personal data will be kept confidential but, subject to the provisions of any applicable law, may be:
- Supplied to our agent, contractor, third party service providers or Save the Children offices in 120 countries who provide administration, data processing, telecommunications, computer, payment, call centre services, mailing and printing services to Save the Children in Hong Kong or Australia, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States. A full list of the Save the Children offices can be found at www.savethechildren.org.hk ;
- Disclosed to relevant government departments, tax authorities, law enforcement agencies, or other appropriate governmental or regulatory authorities in Hong Kong or in the jurisdictions mentioned above for the purpose of meeting the requirements imposed on Save the Children by laws, regulations, judicial or administrative orders and dealing with requests from regulators, law enforcement agencies and tax authorities.
Transfer of your personal data will only be made for one or more of the purposes specified above.
Use of personal data for promoting our fundraising activities
In addition to the purposes set out above, Save the Children intends to use your name and contact details for sending you promotional materials and/or contacting you in relation to our fundraising activities. In that event, your name and contact details will be shared with our co-organizer, agent or other third party involved with Save the Children in organising fundraising, education, or related activities. Before using your personal data for this purpose, we must obtain your consent and may only use your personal data for promoting our fundraising activities after having obtained such consent from you. Should you find such use of your personal data not acceptable, please indicate your objection by checking the box next to the sentence “I object to the proposed use of my personal data by Save the Children for promoting its fundraising activities” in the donation form.
You may in future withdraw your consent to our use of your personal data for this purpose and we shall cease using your data for such purpose without charge after receipt of your request. If you wish to withdraw your consent, please inform us by the methods mentioned in the section “Access and correction of personal data”.
Access and correction of personal data
Under the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, you have the right to ascertain whether Save the Children holds your personal data, to obtain a copy of the data, and to correct any data that is inaccurate. You may also request Save the Children to inform you of the type of personal data held by us.
Requests for access and correction or for information regarding policies and practices and types of data held should be addressed in writing to:
Donor Services & Engagement Manager
Save the Children
8/F Pacific Plaza, 410-418 Des Voeux Road West, Sai Wan, Hong Kong
Email: [email protected]
Please state your full name and contact details in your requests.
A reasonable fee may be charged to offset Save the Children’s administrative and actual costs incurred in complying with your access request.
(In case of discrepancies between the English and Chinese versions of this statement, the English version shall prevail.)